Busy at work this week, so progress has been slow. But found the time to complete the Acorns and stems. Prompted me to think about the origin of the word Acorn, which I used to collect as a child on my home from school. Wikipedia includes the following:
The word acorn (earlier akerne, and acharn) is related to the Gothic name akran, which had the sense of “fruit of the unenclosed land”. The word was applied to the most important forest produce, that of the oak. Chaucer spoke of “achornes of okes” in the 14th century. By degrees, popular etymology connected the word both with “corn” and “oak-horn”, and the spelling changed accordingly. The current spelling (emerged 15c.-16c.), derives from association with ac (Old English: “oak”) + corn.
Here’s my version! I’ve tried to vary the colours to help make the acorns pop. I’ve included some shading on the uppermost acorn. Split stitched the outlines. All the acorns include laid work, which are held in place using the Bayeux stitch. I’ve also stitched the first of the insects this weekend, Mr Buzzy Bee…his body should have been completed in plain satin stitch , but I wanted to add some texture. Unfortunately, my skills don’t extend to using Turkey stitch in such a small area, which I think would have given the body a plush effect!